Terms and Conditions Governing the use of WebPAY
1. “Merchant” means a website that is integrated to WebPAY for the purpose of receiving payments for goods and/or services that are sold on the website.
2. “Card” means the payment card used by a cardholder to make payment on the merchant’s website for goods and services that are sold on the website
3. “Transaction” means each individual payment done by the cardholder on the merchant’s website
4. “Cardholder” means the individual using a card to make payment on the merchant’s website
5. “Token” means a device (hardware or software) that is used to generate One Time Password (OTP) that serve as an additional security measure to authenticate transactions.
6. “OTP”-One Time Password refers to a randomly generated password that is valid for only one transaction generated by a token device
7. "PIN" means the Personal identification Number provided by the cardholder used for authenticating transactions
8. “CVV” means Card Verification Value, a 3-digit number specified at the back of a payment card used for authenticating transactions
9. “Issuer” means the bank that issued the card used by the cardholder to carry out transactions on WebPAY
10. “Card Expiry Date” means the expiry date of the payment card indicated on the payment card
11. “Authorization” means the process of checking the validity and availability of sufficient funds on the a cardholder’s payment card
12. “Affiliate” means a subsidiary group or organization officially attached to WebPAY
· WebPAY is the Interswitch payment gateway integrated to merchant’s website to facilitate electronic payment transactions s over the web.
· WebPAY enables cardholders initiate payments, secures the payment transactions and securely transmits the transaction amount to the cardholder’s bank (issuing bank) for authorization.
· Customers card details provided by the cardholder on the WebPAY payment gateway that is displayed on the merchant’s site is securely captured and these details are submitted for realtime authorization by the issuing bank.
· WebPAY requires the entry of a valid payment card number, the corresponding Personal Identification Number (PIN), the Card Verification Code (CVV) and the card expiry date before the payment can be presented for authorization.
· An additional requirement in form of a One Time password (OTP) may also be requested at the point of completing certain transaction above pre-defined limits by Interswitch or the issuing bank for authentication purposes; this OTP would have been made available to the cardholder’s pre-registered mobile number or email address via either SMS, email respectively or generated directly from a physical hardware device or a software device.
· In order to authorize a card transaction, WebPAY transmits the transaction information received from the merchant’s site through the Interswitch payment switch to the issuing bank on the network for validation.
· WebPAY returns the response (approved, declined or otherwise) received from the issuing bank to the merchant website to be displayed to the cardholder.
Fees and Charges
· The merchant is responsible for presenting the total amount to be paid by the cardholder and deducted from the cardholder’s account before redirecting to WebPAY
· The total amount to be paid by the cardholder is presented on the WebPAY page before the transaction is completed and the cardholder has the option of either proceeding with the payment or cancelling it.
· Any additional surcharge to be incurred by the cardholder in addition to the total amount displayed on the merchants’ website may also be included in the final amount to be paid by the cardholder; this amount is presented to the cardholder on the WebPAY page and the cardholder has the option of either proceeding with the payment or cancelling it.
· Where a cardholder is registered for the SMS OTP service, the cardholder is responsible for any charges associated with the utilization of this service for transactions that require the provision of an OTP via SMS for the purpose of completing transactions on WebPAY.
· It is the duty of the cardholder to keep secret and safe at all times the details of the payment card i.e. card number, PIN, CVV and Card Expiry date including but not limited to periods when online transactions are carried out. The card details are not to be disclosed to any other person or recorded in a manner that could result in its disclosure or misuse.
· The cardholder is also expected to keep the details of the OTP to be utilized as a part of the transaction secret at all times and must not disclose it to any person or write it down or record it in a manner that could result in its disclosure or misuse. Physical token devices should also keep safe and protected using same measures taken to protect the payment card.
· Suspicious activity as may be observed by Interswitch, the Merchant or the Issuing bank may result in the relevant payment card being restricted from carrying out transactions on WebPAY.
· Insufficient technical knowledge and lack of safety precautions can make it easier for unauthorized third parties to access cardholders’ systems or devices and it is the responsibility of the cardholder to take the necessary security precautions to prevent this.
· By using the WebPAY application, the cardholder will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to comply with the terms and conditions provided here, in addition to all other applicable terms, including Interswitch’s applicable data policies, the terms and conditions governing the use of the payment Card provided by the issuer and any security measures provided by Interswitch, WebPAY and its Affiliates for online purchases or funds transfer services.
· WebPAY, Interswitch or its Affiliates will not be liable for any Merchant's refusal to accept the payment card provided by the cardholder to facilitate a payment transaction for any reason whatsoever.
· WebPAY, Interswitch or its Affiliates will not be liable for any restrictions placed on the payment card in use by the Issuer for any reason whatsoever.
· WebPAY, Interswitch and its Affiliates are hereby indemnified against any liability, loss, damage, including solicitor and client costs and expenses (legal or otherwise) which may be sustained or incurred, directly or indirectly, by reason of having made available the WebPAY application or any of its related services, or having entered into this Agreement with the cardholder or enforcement of rights under this Agreement or in acting upon any instructions which may have been given in relation to this service or any negligence, fraud and/or misconduct on the part of the cardholder or on the part of any agents or representatives of the cardholder or the cardholders’ breach of this Agreement.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
This Agreement is governed by Laws of The Federal Republic of Nigeria. The cardholder irrevocably submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Nigerian courts.
Information available through WebPAY
Neither Interswitch, WebPAY nor its Affiliates shall be liable to the cardholder (whether based on an action or claim in contract, negligence, tort or otherwise) for any decision made or action taken in reliance on or use of any information, images, links, sounds, graphics, video, software or other materials, including quotes, news and research data, made available through WebPAY.
· The intellectual property rights in or pertaining to the WebPAY application, its Services and the content within are owned by Interswitch or its Affiliates. No part or parts of the Channel or any content pertaining to the application may be reproduced, distributed, republished, displayed, broadcast, hyperlinked, transmitted, adapted, modified to create derivative works or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner or by any means or stored in an information retrieval system without the prior written permission of Interswitch.
· The cardholder may view, print or use the Content for personal, non-commercial use only, provided further that the said content is not modified and all copyright notices and other proprietary notices contained in the content are retained.
· The trademarks, service marks, and logo (the "Trade Marks") used and displayed on or through the payment gateway or via the merchant website are registered trademarks of Interswitch.
· Nothing on the payment gateway or the InterSwitch website should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trade Marks displayed on or through the payment gateway or the Interswitch website without our written permission.